Thursday, April 20, 2023

What are things that mentally-strong parents do to raise mentally strong children? by Kyle Phoenix

I can't remember when my mother taught me to play chess. I literally can't remember. I just always knew. Which means between 3-4 years old.
Chess teaches not just strategic thinking but problem solving, power usage and discrimination and how to force an outcome through ingenuity.
Teach children to not just read but then to put it into a short report and have them orally present it. Do this until they're 18, make it part of their allowance. It builds reading, communication and writing skills. Also it removes stage fright.

I would add some sort of sport, musical instrument, art and home management system like being responsible for cooking twice a week and shopping.

Mental strength is comprised of resilience, discipline, focus, grit, curiosity, zest and flexibility. Creating an environment that passively exercises those skills will put them light years ahead of others. They wont have to be the smartest if they have practiced critical thinking and have an expansive vocabulary.

I would have children, particularly girls learn self defense from 5 on up. Krav Maga, aikido, something that wasn't strength dependent. Also deductive logic, puzzle solving, behavioral psychology. Flexibility of thinking that would serve whatever they decided to become.

While we don't want to over control children we do want to pretend we still live on the prairie. What skills would you want them to have if you died at 12, 16, 18, 21, 25?

My mother expressed that as an only child her concern was transferring as much of her knowledge to me as fast and thoroughly as possible. My father was interested in refining it. He was big on chess.

As a teacher I meet children and then adults baffled by the world, lacking any hustle. My parents graphically explained drugs, street hustles, sex, work, professionalism----anything they encountered to me but earlier faster.
I often find I'm not awed or frightened or overwhelmed because I have been taught how to have a reserve, a skill bank within.

Pretend you've got a finite time to compress your knowledge into useful skills. If you can't, maybe you should be looking at what you don't know. Your time with your children, as soon as they're born is ticking away.


#KylePhoenix

#TheKylePhoenixShow

No comments:

Post a Comment