Thursday, March 8, 2018

Kyle Phoenix Answers: Which is your favorite of all Toni Morrison's books?






I still have my original Ap English class copy of it where the teacher Dr. Hunter encouraged us,to underline, highlight and write marginalia.

Song of Solomon represents the search from boy to man, particularly Black in America with the retributional Seven Days lurking in the background. It possesses three of my favorite passages in all of literature, including Pilate at her granddaughters funeral. I literally am wracked with sobs at its crescendo .


Paradise begins and ends in mystery, who and what race the women are obscured which destroys one of the racial grasping points we use to construct identity from. Only Consolata the caretaker of the Covent, the eventual coven is identified. What I appreciate most is its infusion of Yoruban spiritual abilities and Candomble....but only if you know them will you see them and when you see them then you know the truth behind the mysteries.




The deft hand over language in both inspires me as I write, presses me to wrestle with heavier themes, uneasy questions, to not write pulp but instead meaty literature.
Follow Me on 


No comments:

Post a Comment