Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Do writers feel more creative and expressive with pen and paper, or do thoughts come out as easily as when typing on a keyboard? Kyle Phoenix Answers





Do writers feel more creative and expressive with pen and paper, or do thoughts come out as easily as when typing on a keyboard?
I tend to write first drafts and additions by hand first. I write so much by hand that I type 65 words per minute and I often sigh, carve out time, groan at the time it takes to type.
But then real magic always occurs, in the squinting, deciphering marginalia, I add a word, I perfect a phrase, I get over a clunky hump. Handwriting lets me know I can come back to something, that it's all temporary. Typing transfers to semi-permanent. I then print a draft or a manuscript in proof form/book form with cover and guess who comes out.
My little friends.
Pen and Post it Notes.
And they're full of whoop ass and lollipops.
And you know what?
They're all outta lollipops.
Pen and posts cut, cross, notate, mark, correct, circle and delineate. Oh they delineate like a mother.
Pen and paper initially seemed like they were begging to get transcribed but they are the gatekeepers because they are connected organically to the brain, the fingers, the balls, the Kunte Kinte of the creator and the paper is an organic medium made to object that absorbs the scratches of the pen.
I have footlockers, half a dozen of notebooks, pads, assembled binders and like baby pictures I can trace back these universes, their origins. You see if I type a tale, edit a tale and then look at the finished file I dont know how I got there, what choices I made, what hyperbole looks like, I lose the lessons to the ability to correct, delete immediately. Now I have baby footprints of when the protagonist first emerged, clunky and trying to be a real character, evidence of the ideas growing, climbing up the pole of possibilities until they became something.
Also upon increase of fame, libraries and universities purchase your drafts and notes. My mentors say for the middle and high end that's where the money is. Your drafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment