Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Kyle Phoenix Answers: Why do so many people work their butts off instead of living their lives?

1582701709



In 2009 I was laid off. April 2nd. Me and half the department, honestly. Good and bad employee alike. Ironically I was planning to quit June 1st. They gave us an ample severance package.
My supervisor cried in my cubicle. I told one, she was being insulting to God----didn't her super-duper Christianation talk about faith and better times ahead and logic to the universe. Two, she was taking it harder than me, which was just creepy.

I swore that day I would only work at places that served two goals, teaching and writing. I used The Secret a lot in that program I'd been laid off from and I'd been focusing on attending Columbia university ,on teaching there, getting paid for it. I had no earthly idea how I'd do it but I left that job refusing lower paying referrals to other teaching jobs.

I submitted my applications, volunteered to teach classes and by that October casually looked out the ceiling high windows of the class I was in front of and realized, "holy shit! I'm teaching at Columbia."
That January they were eagerly paying me to teach.
The rat race folks find themselves in is predicated on a lack of faith. That with faith and efforts you'll be ok.

A job eradicates the innate abilities to make a decision. I decided what I wanted, where it was at, what I could offer and what I needed in return. I actually volunteered to teach because the program I'd been accepted to was dismantled so only 1 professor would be teaching it. He would be back in the spring (he subsequently became a mentor) so I was standing with literally nothing to do for months.

Secondly a job eradicates the ability innovate. I was like hey, you must need experienced instructors, right? They gave me a name, I tracked her down, a week later Beth had hired me to teach four classes.

A job also erodes creativity because you're constantly trying to make a company's company better.
I dusted off my temping energy from years before and became Kyle, Inc.. I treat all companies like temp jobs that I am considering and reconsidering the relationship with. Face every company as your own personal business. Life is the most serious business.

I stopped trying to be a good employee. Its exhausting and fruitless. Instead I have a standard, the Kyle 100 Standard that I operate at. I've found that when projects thought I was giving 100%, it was only 80 on the KS Standards. You have to take measurement and reduction out of the hands of others.
Work smarter, not harder, my mother encouraged as an entrepreneur.
Work to learn, not to earn.

Though 100% use money, 70% of Americans don’t understand it and the systems around it, therefore how to use it and multiply it is outside of their reach. The reason why the first million is the hardest to make is because you have to change all of your conditioning about money to recognize how to see it, obtain it and use it in a wholly different way than you’ve been taught, your parents were taught, your grandparents were taught. Americans lack financial education as a mass, historically. I would submit that foreigners do better financially because they come from one financial system and then understand on a conscious level that they must learn into another one (American) and practice it. They then decide to practice into it with the goal of comfortability or wealth. Simple—-spend $1 on rice, meat, vegetables, spices for one serving of food, sell for $7. Save for one year, get lease, get license, the whole family based on that principle opens a Chinese restaurant and we use that engine for the next 25 years to be comfortable.

I visited family for 2 years,sat in the house writing for a year and finally took a job at WalMart while family was terminally ill. I, about 10 certifications and three degrees overqualified for WalMart, learned so much there. One it took me out of death and dying at home, two, it's full of all manner of folk, three, customer service gave me the opportunity to solve problems everyday in varying social and financial configurations, five I got to help a few people out because I was the arbiter between money/food and none----I learned who to advocate for and which policies to use, lastly they had the best computer based learning system I've ever seen and I've taught for over 20 years plus their integrated sales and computer system taught me higher functionality thinking for sales and distribution in my business.

And I rocked that discount for a flat screen, food, clothes etc at 75% off because I understood their procedures.

I've always walked into jobs with a what do I want and how long can I stand being here mentality.
Folk bitch and moan about work because they think they're supposed to, that you're entitled to freedom. Yes you are but you have to pay for it.

I also have always had a side pocket business, the totality of my life energy is never to a job. I was typing and editing books in the WalMart break room. Amazingly, stuck in the south, WalMart gave me distracted purpose. And honestly most jobs you only work 30-50% of the time. Tell yourself that truth, then figure out something productive you can do in the gap times.
Last year at a staff meeting a supervisor was prattling on and I thought to myself I need to publish six more books I've been proofing, his speech was such bullshit.

Years ago I started an online bookstore and sales exceeded my hopes and I was flush with cash. I learned then to engage jobs to offset eating up entrepreneurial profits and to keep a lil side pocket project going.
That's my last insight into why people get stuck----they assume it's going to be forever. I was maybe twenty, when I happened to be watching msnbc and they were talking to this old businessman about ones first jobs. He said as soon as you get a job, start job hunting because all jobs end with you getting fired/laid off or quitting /dying. That's it.
I've been laid off 3 times and fired once and I'm still alive. I can't remember the office numbers I had memorized, I no longer have pictures of coworkers, I vaguely remember what I did in offices, at banks, in warehouses, once on a construction site, or as a manager at a restaurant but I do know that I'm solidly on track creating my works. Jobs are just static I'm well paid for to afford the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment